Health and Environment Research Group
Academic Unit: National Faculty of Public Health
Medical and health sciences
The Health and Environment Research Group will develop research projects responding to the priority issues of public and environmental health with the aim of advancing in the academic, investigative and institutional development and thus dynamizing health and environmental management in intersectoral coordination. With the research, the group seeks to provide information scientifically and technologically supporting the formulation and application of new development models and public policies that allow the sustainable use of natural resources, the preservation of the ecological heritage, and the improvement of the health conditions and quality of life of the population in the local, departmental, regional, and national context.
Research Areas and Topics
- Socio-environmental processes of urban and rural health.
- Air pollution, climate change, and health.
- Mining and health.
- Agrotoxics and health.
- Community management, public policies, and environmental health.
- Primary care in environmental health.
- Water, environmental sanitation, and home public services.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona.
- Isglobal Institute.
- The New School - New York.
- Ministry of Health and Social Protection.
- National Institute of Health.
- Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development.
- Berkeley University.
- Colombian Environmental and Occupational Health Node.
- The Metropolitan Area of the Aburra Valley.
- Sectional Secretariat of Health and Social Protection.
- Secretariat of Health of Medellin.
- Secretariat of Environment of Medellin.
- Demography and Health Research Group.
- Health and Society Research Group.
- Universidad Industrial de Santander.
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia – Medellin.
- Effects of atmospheric pollution on the health of the inhabitants of the Aburra Valley Phases I, II, and III.
- Exposure to air pollutants (PM2.5, PM10, and O3), and cardiovascular and respiratory events in Medellin.
- Estimation of the attributable burden of disease caused by urban air pollution and its economic costs for the city of Medellin.
- Programa Nacional de Investigación en Salud Ambiental (Environmental Health National Research Program).
- Comprehensive assessment of quality of water for human consumption in urban populations from various municipalities of Antioquia.
Main Research Results
- Design and implementation of the Environmental Health vigilance system with emphasis in Air Quality for the Aburra Valley region.
- Environmental education strategy for Medellin city peri-urban areas.
- Environmental health education strategy for university research seedbeds and Ondas research seedbeds.
- Virtual platform design: Observatorio de Salud urbana ambiental para Medellín (Medellin Environmental Urban Health Observatory).
- Educational strategy about the importance of drinking water consumption and efficient use, in El Barro and Jamundí rural communities, Girardota.
- Design and implementation of the Environmental Health Information System (Environmental Health vigilance system with emphasis in Air Quality for the Aburra Valley region, Observatorio de Salud Ambiental para Medellín).
- Development of strategies and tools for environmental education.
- Counseling on construction and assessment of environmental health management plans (Air quality, water quality, urban and rural sanitation, environmental health vigilance strategies, climate change).
- Technical assistance for the construction of environmental health education programs.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020