Study and Control of Tropical Diseases Program PECET
Academic Unit: Faculty of Medicine, Academic Corporation for the study of Tropical Pathologies
Medical and health sciences
Other medical sciences
We generate solutions in human, animal, and plant health with quality standards and the support of curious professionals for excellence, leadership, development of the well-being of communities, and environmental sustainability through research, teaching, technological development, and innovation. We intend to impact prevention and control of tropical diseases and other clinical entities with an influence in public health, by developing therapeutic alternatives, vaccines, diagnostic tests, prevention measures, and training of human resources.
Research Areas and Topics
- Quality Assurance.
- Molecular and Computational Biology.
- Development and Services for Biotechnological Products.
- Medical Entomology.
- Clinical Research.
- Immunology Unit.
- Innovation and Development Unit.
- Virology Unit.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Drug for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi).
- World Mosquito Program.
- Monash University.
- World Health Organization (WHO-TDR).
- University of Wisconsin.
- Illinois State University.
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
- Universitat de València.
- Interconexión Eléctrica S.A. (ISA).
- Ruta N.
- Universidad de Caldas.
- World Mosquito Program for dengue control.
- Comprehensive strategy for controlling leishmaniasis in Colombia — EICOLEISH UT.
- Development of new therapeutic agents to treat significant diseases in Public Health in Antioquia — Leishmaniasis subproject.
- Topical treatment trial of cutaneous leishmaniasis.
- Implementation of an early warning system for prevention and control of the main VBDs in the Department of Amazonas, Colombia.
Main Research Results
- Creation of a strategy for biological control of dengue and another that allows Medellin to be the center for Aedes aegypti egg production with Wolbachia in Latin America.
- Development and evaluation of cutaneous leishmaniasis topical treatment drugs that have allowed us to obtain patents.
- A traveling bag that allowed its content to be incorporated in the curriculum of schools of various endemic leishmaniasis municipalities and had an impact on self-care to prevent the disease.
- Description of three new species and a new genus in helminth parasites and phlebotomine sand flies.
- Attention to epidemic outbreaks of tropical diseases and VBDs.
- Phase I, II, and III clinical trials.
- Evaluation in laboratory and production field conditions for diagnosis, prevention, treatment, and control of tropical diseases and VBDs.
- Biological control of dengue, zika and chikungunya. Primary and specialized medical care.
- Design and implementation of Primary Health Education Programs.
- Evaluation of toxicity and compatibility of biomaterials (in laboratory and animal models).
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020