Bioprocesses Research Group
Academic Unit: Faculty of Engineering
Engineering and technology
The Bioprocesses Research Group mission is to contribute to knowledge transfer and generation in the biotechnology area in an interdisciplinary and innovative research environment for creating human resources, social benefit, and productive application.
Research Areas and Topics
- Environmental biotechnology.
- Microalgal biotechnology.
- Metabolic engineering.
- Enzyme technology.
- Food biotechnology.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The Bioprocesses Research Group has several alliances both with other academic peers such as the Industrial Chemical Processes Research Group and the BioMaterials Research Group, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de Pamplona, Universidad Cooperativa de Colombia, among others;
and with the productive sector, where we have alliances with public sector companies such as Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM) as well as private sector companies such as the Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología Alimentaria (Institute of Food Science and Technology - INTAL), and La Montañita.
- Development of bio-glycerol derived composite materials.
- CO2 capture from the industry sector for the production of biofuels.
- Strategies to improve the quality of child feeding.
- Modeling of mercury removal based on polymorphism.
Main Research Results
- Fabrication of wound dressings from silver nanoparticles bioproduction.
- Use of endemic microalgae for producing protein and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- PHA production from bacteria.
- Production of high nutritional value DHA from microalgae.
- Quantification of sugars, amino acids, proteins, starch, organic acids, and alcohol.
- Quantification of enzymatic activities: Amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase, laccase, and peroxidase.
- Cell viability and cell concentration.
- Antimicrobial capacity of disinfectant products.
- Antimicrobial paint testing.
TRAINING AND ADVICE:
- Bioprocesses scaling and modeling.
- Advice to biotechnology-based companies.
- Development and improvement of new processes.
- Training high-level researchers in biotechnological processes development.
- Research seedbeds and courses in bioprocesses (Outreach services).
- Graduate courses: - Biochemical engineering, metabolic engineering, enzymatic technology, and bioprocesses modeling.
- Undergraduate courses: Biotechnology for engineers and biology for engineers.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020