Food Biotechnology BIOALI
Academic Unit: Faculty of Pharmaceutical and Food Sciences
Engineering and technology
Other engineering and technologies
The BIOALI group seeks to develop research processes within the framework of technological transfers at an industrial and population level with emphasis on the concepts of global citizenship. In that sense, the group seeks to solve problems of food security, active packaging and bioactive properties determination, as well as food neo-formed contaminants and solutions to the food industry’s sub-products. All of this is aimed at impacting rural and urban vulnerable communities, but also the industrial sector, which are transversal in the Food Chain.
Research Areas and Topics
- Development of active and intelligent packaging for the Food and Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Evaluation and Control of Technological Treatments on Pharmaceutical and Food Products.
- Pathogenic and Alternative Microorganisms Inhibition in the Food and Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Food Security and Sovereignty.
- Valorization and Transformation of Agro-Industrial Waste.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- University Santa Maria.
- Mayor's Office of La Unión.
- University of Sao Paulo.
- Governor’s Office of Antioquia.
- University of Granada.
- IA Ingeniería en Alimentos SAS.
- Federal University of Juiz de Fora.
- Effect of different drying methods on some quality parameters of fortified and dehydrated potatoes (solanum tuberosum) as an alternative for its industrial processing.
- Development of biodegradable active packaging from whey proteins, incorporating nanocomposites and their impact on food preservation.
- Design of two fourth range technological packages for the agro-industrial transformation of strawberries: obtaining powdered food fortified with zinc and folic acid.
Main Research Results
- Sustainable Management and Valorization of Spent Coffee Grounds Through the Optimization of Thin Layer Hot Air-Drying Process. Waste Biomass Value 11, 5015–5026 (2020). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-019-00793-9
- Rheological, texture, structural, and functional properties of Greek-style yogurt fortified with cheese whey-spent coffee ground powder. LWT. Volume 129, July 2020, 109523.
- Development of fortified low-fat potato chips through Vacuum Impregnation and Microwave Vacuum Drying. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. Volume 64, August 2020, 102437.
- Experiments and Packaging Design.
- Food Design and Formulation.
- Dehydrated Food (convective, spray drying, lyophilization).
- Nutritional Characterization, Food Antioxidants and Neo-formed Contaminants, and Food Raw Materials.
- Training in Food Handling.
- Work with peasant and vulnerable communities.
- Active Compound Extraction.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020