Evolutionary Ecology and Conservation EECO
Academic Unit: Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences
The mission of the EECO Group is to produce and use scientific knowledge in evolutionary ecology and population biology to contribute to decision making regarding the conservation of plant species. The Group implements research projects and monitors threatened species, carries out extinction risk assessments (red lists) of species and diagnoses to identify important areas for plant conservation, and designs and deploys conservation plans for species. This entire work contributes to national and international strategies for biodiversity conservation.
Research Areas and Topics
- Evolutionary Ecology of Plants.
- Plant Conservation Biology.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The EECO Group belongs to the National Strategy for Plant Conservation and the Colombian Plant Specialist Group working group of IUNC. For these initiatives, we collaborate with researchers from the Humboldt Institute, the SINCHI Institute of the Ministry of Environment (MinAmbiente), the National Network of Botanic Gardens of Colombia and universities such as Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Universidad del Valle, among others. The EECO Group is also part of the Cycad Specialist Group and the Plant Conservation Committee of IUCN at an international level, in close collaboration with several IUCN organizations and institutions such as the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) and the CNCFlora from Brazil.
- Action plan for the conservation of Zamias in Colombia.
- Red list of plants in Colombia.
- Identification of key biodiversity areas (KBA) for plants in Colombia.
Main Research Results
- The EECO Group participates in the assessment of thousands of plant species in Colombia, published on the SIB Colombia and IUCN Red List portals. These assessments contribute to several species conservation initiatives, including the Resolution of Threatened Species of the Ministry of Environment (MinAmbiente), one of the most important policy tools for biodiversity conservation in Colombia.
- The EECO Group coordinates the implementation of the Action Plan for the Conservation of Zamias in Colombia, one of the four conservation plans of the Ministry of Environment (MinAmbiente) along with strategic groups to promote plant conservation in Colombia. As part of this conservation plan, several academic products and didactic tools for environmental education were produced.
- The EECO Group is in a position to advise on the design and implementation of conservation plans for groups of species as well as other conservation strategies, such as management plans for protected areas, restoration plans, and others.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020