Oral Health and Wellness Research Group
Academic Unit: Faculty of Dentistry
Medical and health sciences
Our goal is to contribute to the improvement of health conditions through research, teaching, and community outreach activities aimed at recognizing the most prevalent problems and proposing alternative solutions. This is intended from a critical-social vision that contributes to the analysis of the oral health-disease process in the context of our population. We aim to contribute to the formulation of public health policies and to the practice of odontology as a response to the needs of the population.
Research Areas and Topics
- Social determinants of the oral component and health promotion.
- Epidemiology and Endodontics.
- Oral health care policies, programs, and services.
- Oral health and life cycle.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Eliana Lucena Pineda Vélez, MSc.
Master’s in Epidemiology.
Group Coordinator Email
- Associations and ongoing work with Alianza por un Futuro Libre de Caries (the Alliance for a Caries-Free Future): World-class University-Business-State type project.
- Programa de Atención a la Niñez (Child Care Program) PAN: Alliance with NGOs.
- Joint work with the Secretary of Health of the Municipality of Andes: Seven years of presence in this territory, working for oral health in alliance with local authorities.
- Evaluation of an educational strategy and the application of a preventive protocol for the promotion of oral care during early childhood. Medellin.
- Baseline of Growth and Development and Oral Health Indicators for Early Childhood in the Municipality of Andes, Antioquia.
- 7th monitoring: Dental cavities and access to dental services in school children in Medellin and appropriation of the educational model in oral health as a learning object in the school setting of official and private educational institutions.
Main Research Results
- Products: Inequalities in indicators of early childhood caries experience in the municipality of Andes (Antioquia, Colombia).
- Dental caries in children 0-5 years of age in the municipality of Andes, Colombia. Evaluation using the international caries detection and assessment system.
- Occlusal characteristics of 5-year-old children in the Municipality of Andes.
- Inequities in early childhood health in the municipality of Andes, Antioquia, Colombia. An analysis from critical epidemiology.
- Scientific-technological consulting: Design of the protocol for the IV National Oral Health Study ENSAB IV. Rationale: The most important epidemiological study in the country in the last few years.
- Inter-administrative contracts 4600054488 of 2014 and 4000079173 of 2015. “Strengthening oral care during early childhood" 2014-2015. School of Odontology - Secretary of Health of Medellin. Rationale: Training for nearly 400 educational agents of the Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar (Colombian Family Welfare Institute).
- Inter-administrative contract to formulate the Oral Health Public Policy 2013-2022 for Medellín. National School of Public Health - Secretary of Health of Medellin. Rationale: Participation of the group in a high impact project in policy formulation.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020