Academic Unit: Faculty of Pharmaceutical and Food Sciences
Medical and health sciences
Biopolimer develops technologies and products using nanotechnology and biotechnology for the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, food, and environmental industry that impact and promote social development. We use nanotechnology to improve stability, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness. From the diversity of basidiomycete fungi of the white-rot in Colombia and its metabolites and ligninolytic enzymes, products of interest are obtained, such as beta-glucans. Besides, agroindustrial, forestry, and polymer waste are used, contributing to the resolution of environmental problems.
Research Areas and Topics
- Nanotechnology for the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and food industry.
- Study of plants and agroindustrial waste in Colombia with therapeutic potential.
- Assessment of the potential of Colombian fungi for developing pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and food applications.
- Assessment of the ligninolytic potential of various species of basidiomycete fungi and bioprocesses for biotechnological applications.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Creation of the Spin-off Bioinnco S.A.S., a Tech Innovation Group company, as well as projects and ongoing relationships.
- Participation in the LIDA network (Lacasas Inmovilizadas para la Degradación de Compuestos Aromáticos en Aguas Residuales), which is part of CYTED.
- Participation in the 243º Technical Committee “NANOTECHNOLOGY” of ICONTEC.
- Relationship and projects with Kuraray America Inc. (KAI), EVAL™ Business Unit.
- Implementation of agreements with KIST — Korea Institute of Science and Technology.
- Relationships with UMR CNRS 8612 Institut Galien Paris-Sud.
- Technical preparation of the Ganoderma bioprocess for optimization and scaling purposes.
- Production, characterization, and biological activity of fungal polysaccharides.
- Nanostructured lipid transporters loaded with Thymus vulgaris and Rosmarinus officinalis essential oils as biopesticide alternatives.
- Polymeric nanoparticles with the ability to transport and release doxorubicin in environments with specific pH and redox potential.
Main Research Results
- Patent granted by the SIC: "Functional indefinite culture medium with natural biocomposite inducer.” It led to the creation of the Spin-off Bioinnco S.A.S. to whom its use was licensed.
- Patent granted by KIPO: "Composition comprising the extracts of Guadua Angustifolia for prevention or treatment of retinal diseases.” Joint work with the KIST.
- High molecular weight fungal intra- and exopolysaccharides produced from Colombian ligninolytic fungi on a bioreactor scale, using agroindustrial residues which have shown to have antitumor and immunostimulant activity, while being potentially useful in the food and pharmaceutical industry.
- Participation in the National Committee for Standardization in Nanotechnology — ICONTEC 243º committee.
- We are a benchmark in nanotechnology.
- Design and development of micro or nanoparticulate matrices or formulations for the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and food industries. Courses and training in nanotechnology.
- Determination of total glucans and alpha and be ta glucans; mannose (mannan), glucose and fructose; total carbohydrates or total sugars; and ligninolytic enzymatic activity of lignin peroxidases (LiP), manganese peroxidases (MnP), and laccases.
- Biodegradation tests with exposure to ligninolytic enzymes or liquid or solid cultures with various ligninolytic fungi to determine the existence of biodegradation through one or more variables.
- Preparative HPLC. We have analytical and preparative HPLC with a PDA detector and fraction collector.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020