Demography and Health
Academic Unit: National Faculty of Public Health
Medical and health sciences
We research events and problems surrounding the dynamics and structure of human populations, their relationships with Public Health, determinants, and consequences. Our purpose is to provide information and knowledge to support the intervention and improvement of the welfare conditions and quality of life of the population, guided by principles of academic excellence, social responsibility of learning, multidisciplinarity, equality, and the correlation between research, teaching, and outreach.
Research Areas and Topics
- Quality of life.
- Population ageing.
- Vital Statistics.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Asociación Colombiana de Empresas de Medicina Integral (Colombian Association of Integral Medicine Companies - ACEMI).
- National Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences.
- Ministry of Health of Medellin.
- The Metropolitan Area of the Aburra Valley.
- National Administrative Department of Statistics (DANE).
- Fundación Grupo Hábito, Territorio y Medio Ambiente (Foundation Group Habit, Territory and Environment - HTM).
- National Institute of Public Health of Cuernavaca, Mexico.
- Biomedical Research Institute of Murcia (IMIB), Spain.
- 2006: General fertility rates of the population affiliated to the Colombian Contributory and Subsidized Regimes. Colombia, 2006. Asociación Colombiana de Empresas de Medicina Integral (Colombian Association of Integral Medicine Companies - ACEMI).
- Assessment of the nutritional status in children and adolescents aged under 17 from the municipalities of the Department of Antioquia. Start date: November 2013 End date: May 2015.
- 2018-2019: Air pollution and its impacts on the health of the inhabitants of the Aburra Valley 2008-2015 and 2008-2017. Funded by the Metropolitan Area of the Aburra Valley.
- Baseline resilience of the Department of Antioquia by sub-regions in 2018.
Main Research Results
- The research findings carried out with the Metropolitan Area of the Aburra Valley on the link between air pollution and health are the base for establishing the air action plan for 2030, which contains a set of strategies to reduce pollution levels and improve air quality in the Aburra Valley in the short, medium, and long term.
- The research findings carried out on the elderly reached a milestone at a departmental and municipal level. The meager living and health conditions of the elderly population — research findings carried out by former members and current members of the group — were the basis so that health institutions in the city support public health interventions on this group: the creation of observatories, gerontological care, and life centers, among others.
- Training both undergraduate and graduate students of the National School of Public Health in research.
- Training students, graduate students, and the general public in topics related to demographics in health.
- Promoting the dissemination of the acquired knowledge among scientific and academic communities, social strata, and health care actors.
- Developing the research activity continuously related to teaching programs and outreach projects in both undergraduate and graduate programs.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020