Computational Physics and Astrophysics Group FACOM
Academic Unit: Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences
The FACom Group is currently one of the groups with larger tradition within the Institute of Physics. It was established in 2005 by members of other Research Groups interested in developing research areas and topics in physics and astrophysics, mainly supported by computational sciences as a problem-solving tool. The Group has always been a multidisciplinary one, not only within physics and astrophysics but also in its relationship with other scientific disciplines, especially biology, earth and environmental sciences, and aerospace sciences.
Research Areas and Topics
- Computational Astrophysics.
- Planetary Sciences.
- High Performance Computing.
- Non-linear Dynamics and Complex Systems.
- Galaxies and Cosmology.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Juan Carlos Muñoz Cuartas, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Astrophysics.
University of Potsdam — Germany.
Group Coordinator Email
- Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam.
- Universidad Autónoma de México Institute of Astronomy.
- University of Paraíba Valley.
- Universidad Católica del Norte (Chile).
- Characterization of star formation models in galaxies through simulation of observed galactic systems. Colombian Ministry of Science. PI: Juan Carlos Muñoz Cuartas.
- Seismic pre-stack migration in depth by extrapolating wave fields using high performance computing for massive data in complex areas. Colombian Ministry of Science. PI: Juan Carlos Muñoz Cuartas.
- Characterization of sky quality and meteorological conditions in the Recinto Quirama zone for astronomical observation. CODI. PI: Esteban Silva Villa.
- Design of a control system for a robotic observatory. CODI. PI: Pablo Cuartas.
Main Research Results
- There are several research results that have been highly valued by the community, many of which are in the form of papers, all listed in our GrupLAC. It is difficult to value some results over others since the contexts tend to differ in some cases.
- Among the most exciting results of the different investigations carried out by the group are (1) Theoretical models for the description of astrophysical phenomena, (2) algorithms and computational techniques, and (3) algorithms and numerical methods for studying acoustic seismic wave propagation.
- Expert advice.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020