Research Group on Biomaterials
Academic Unit: Faculty of Engineering
Engineering and technology
Other engineering and technologies
The group’s mission is to generate, apply and transmit knowledge on topics related to biomaterials in order to satisfy the existent demand of professionals formed in this discipline. Our group is supported by and works together with well-known, experienced organizations and research centers, which guarantees its continuous strengthening and recognition both regionally and nationwide.
Research Areas and Topics
- Mechanical behavior of biomaterials.
- Development, processing and characterization of scaffolds for tissue engineering.
- Extraction of biopolymers from natural sources.
- Superficial modification of ceramic and polymeric biomaterials.
- Synthesis, characterization, and application of bioglass and of calcium phosphate-type ceramic materials.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Medellin Campus (UNAL).
- Metropolitan Technological Institute, Medellin (Instituto Tecnológico Metropolitano ITM).
- Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana (UPB).
- Universidad EAFIT.
- Escuela de Ingeniería de Antioquia EIA (EIA).
- Sampedro Medical Industries.
- Development of bone substitutes composed of natural polymers and hydroxylapatite nanofibers.
- Evaluation of the morphological, mechanical, and in vitro biocompatibility-related properties of hidroxylapatite foams and biopolymer-coated hydroxyapatite foams.
- Development of bioactive glass from various sources of silico for reinforcing chitosan scaffolds in tissue engineering.
Main Research Results
- Development of two bone substitutes composed of two natural polymers: carrageenan and hidroxylapatite nanofiber-coated fibroin (both entirely produced in the laboratory).
- Demonstration of the morphological, mechanical, and in vitro biocompatibility-related properties of hidroxylapatite foams produced in the laboratory.
- Development of a bioactive glass from various sources of silico obtained from natural sources such as rice husk and corozo shell.
- Synthesis and fabrication of biomaterials.
- Evaluation of biomaterial properties.
- Physical–chemical characterization trials for materials.
- Counseling and consulting on re-use analysis to companies providing medical services.
- Design of equipment for the analysis of biomaterial properties.
- Preparation of formulations for food protection purposes.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020