Action Research and Evaluation in Foreign Languages Group GIAE
Academic Unit: School of Languages
Languages and literature
The GIAE’s mission is to research discourses and practices in the field of teaching and learning of foreign languages in Colombia in order to expand our knowledge of the area, propose educational innovations, and impact educational and linguistic policies in primary and middle education, undergraduate, postgraduate, and work training programs, and training of in-service teachers. As a result, we intend to establish a link among research, teaching, and learning, as well as between the university and the community. We focus on the areas of professional development, curriculum, autonomy, linguistic policies, critical pedagogy, and assessment. We are guided by values such as respect, democracy, cooperation, transparency, equity, critical consciousness, and responsibility.
Research Areas and Topics
- Student and teacher autonomy in the field of foreign language teaching and learning.
- Assessment of learning performance in foreign languages.
- Initial training and professional development of teachers in foreign languages in Colombia.
- Linguistic policies and educational reform in Colombia.
- ICT and foreign languages learning and teaching.
- Critical Language Education.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Luis Amigó University.
- Instituto Tecnológico Metropolitano.
- Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana.
- Universidad EAFIT.
- LICOTIC Group — Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Azcapotzalco, Mexico.
- Research Group on Bilingualism (GIB), Universidad del Quindío.
- Languages for permanence: A proposal from critical interculturality.
- Understanding Marginalized Youth’s Secondary Education Experiences: A Mixed-methods Study of Colombia, India, and Malawi. Funded by The Spencer Foundation in USA.
- Achievements and Challenges of the Evaluation System of PIFLE-I.
- Coaching as a professional development strategy for adjunct instructors in the Section of Services.
Main Research Results
- Education and language policy in Colombia: Exploring processes of inclusion, exclusion, and stratification in times of global reform. PROFILE Issues in Teachers’ Professional Development, 11(1), 123–141. ISSN 1657-0790.
- La rúbrica y la justicia en la evaluación. (The role of rubrics in fair assessment practices.) Íkala, revista de lenguaje y cultura, 18(3), 79–94. ISSN 0123-3432.
- Coaching as a professional development strategy for adjunct instructors in a Colombian university. Profile: Issues in Teachers’ Professional Development, 21(1), 121-135.
- Academic support for the Examinations Unit of Universidad de Antioquia for the design of certification tests of communicative skills in several languages.
- Implementation of training courses for foreign languages teachers in pedagogical and curricular aspects.
- Construction of curricular proposals for foreign languages teaching from an intercultural perspective.
- Expert advice in the construction and assessment of public policies and educational programs at national, local ,and institutional levels.
- Support in the construction of teacher training and professional development programs.
- Expert advice in curricular renewal processes for educational institutions, high schools, and higher education institutions.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020