Biophysics Group - UdeA
Academic Unit: Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences
In the Biophysics Group, we use the tools of physics and mathematics along with computational models to study biological systems in general. Our short-term goal is to impact the areas of muscle electrophysiology, biophotonics, and cell membranes with new ideas and well-designed experiments and theoretical models that permit us to have a more comprehensive understanding of these systems.
Research Areas and Topics
- Biophotonics and Colorimetry.
- Cell Electrophysiology.
- Biophysics, Surfaces and Cell Membrane Models.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Prof. Doekele Stavenga, Prof. Petra Rudolf -Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials. University of Groningen, the Netherlands.
- Prof. Demetrio Macias -Physics, Mechanics, Materials and Nanotechnology Department. University of Troyes, France.
- Prof. Paulo B. Mirand -Sao Carlos Institute of Physics, Group of Polymers. University of Sao Paulo (Brazil).
- Study of the polarized iridescence in the wings of Morpho butterflies: a behavioral and structural approach (February 2020 — to date).
- Study of the action mechanism of the venom of arachnids through the patch-clamp technique (February 2019 — present).
- Development of a cardiomyocyte cell membrane model that allows morphological and physicochemical changes produced by anticancer drugs (February 2017 — present).
Main Research Results
- The creation of the first cell electrophysiology laboratory marked a milestone for the University, as it is the first of this type in the city and one of the three active laboratories in Colombia.
- The following work was the cover of the journal and was mentioned in a separate section within the same journal (Inside JEB), where the story behind the article was told (its conception, the researchers involved, etc.) Coloration mechanisms and phylogeny of Morpho butterflies (in Journal of Experimental Biology). DOI: 10.1242/jeb.148726
- Spectrophotometric measurements (IR-VIS-UV) of reflectance and transmittance of macroscopic and microscopic samples.
- Fluorescence measurements of microscopic samples in the visible range.
- Coating of flat substrates (solar cell-like) with polymeric or nanoparticular material monolayers.
- Measurement of rigidity moduli of millimetric structures.
- Electrostimulation of cells or tissues and evaluation of optical or mechanical response.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020