Institute of Regional Studies
Culture, Violence, and Territory
Academic Unit: Institute of Regional Studies
The group’s research work aims at the analysis of the cultural and territorial implications of violence, as well as the study of the transitional scenarios the country is currently experiencing, trying to contribute from academic reflection on issues such as memory, peace building, reparation, political transition, and the implementation of public policies that advance in the achievement of equity and that guarantee an adequate social and political insertion of the different actors and social movements.
Research Areas and Topics
- Territory, rights, and citizen practices.
- Gender, politics, and exclusion.
- Art and culture in communities.
- Culture, politics, and violence.
- Science, power, and society.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Natalia Quiceno Toro, MSc., PhD.
PhD "Vivir Sabroso Poéticas de la lucha y el movimiento afroatrateño, en Bojayá, Chocó, Colombia"
Universidad Federal de Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Group Coordinator Email
- Internally we have had alliances with the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, the Inter-American School of Library Science, and the Institutes of Philosophy and Political Studies. We have academic-research networks with the UPB School of Design and the UNAL School of Gender Studies; internationally with the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, CALAS and La Laboratoria. Concerning social organizations.
- We have had alliances with the Farmers’ Association of Antioquia, ASOVIDA, ASFADES, COCOMACIA, the Life Justice and Peace Commission, the Victims of the Sonsón Association, the Solidarity and Commitment Foundation, and the Pasolini Corporation. Also, we have developed research projects on violence and memory in agreement with the municipalities of Medellin and Envigado.
- Moral evil and forgiveness as a possible ethical response to harm, Universidad de Antioquia 2014-2017.
- Inhabiting memory: Appropriation and awareness strategies of the Memory House Museum of Medellin, Municipality of Medellin- INER. 2013-2014.
- About memories and wars: La Sierra, Villa Lilliam, and El 8 de Marzo in Medellin. Mayor of Medellin - IDEA - Colciencias - INER. 2008.
- Women in times of war: A look into feminine aspects in the context of Colombian armed groups, INER, 2002-2003.
Main Research Results
- Book, Qué hacer ante el daño que produce la violencia [What to do with the damage caused by violence] (2019)
- Thinking through wandering: Journeys and delays of African travelers in Quito and Dakar. DOI: https://bit.ly/30Yn4pu
- In addition to publishing scientific articles, the group creates booklets, radio programs, audiovisual and multimedia products, and pedagogical materials in general as strategies for the dissemination and social appropriation of knowledge, which allow the dialogue of academic knowledge with other audiences and disciplines.
- Research projects.
- Expert advice on the construction of armed conflict historical memory and on moral reparation and reconciliation.
Recepción de correspondencia: calle 70 No. 52 - 21 | Apartado Aéreo 1226 | Dirección: calle 67 No. 53 - 108 | Horario de atención
Conmutador: [57 + 604] 219 8332 | Línea gratuita de atención al ciudadano: 018000 416384 | Fax: [57 + 604] 263 8282
Peticiones, quejas, reclamos, sugerencias, denuncias, consultas y felicitaciones
Política de tratamiento de datos personales
Medellín - Colombia | Todos los Derechos Reservados © 2020